Childbirth Classes for Busy New Yorkers
We took [private] childbirth education with Rachel and it was a great experience. She took the time to get to know us, provided us with useful materials, and made us both much more confident about labor and delivery. Rachel clearly respected our choices and never made us feel like we should conform to her ideas of an ideal birth. She is warm and has a good sense of humor, which made our time together that much more enjoyable. —Petra
March 2020: We’re working with current and future clients to adapt our services considering changing hospital policies on labor companions and honoring “social distancing” recommendations. Please reach out for more information, and this site will be updated when possible! We can now offer private classes and consults virtually.
Postmodern Childbirth offers childbirth, pregnancy, and postpartum consulting and group classes tailored to your questions, concerns, and curiosities. You can go into birth and parenting confident and ready.
[M]ost importantly, this is YOUR birth, YOUR baby, and YOUR experience. There are few moments in life that are seared into our memories like birth, and my job is to ensure that your experience is a positive one, regardless of whether or not things go as planned.
Classes include coming to a deep understanding of your values and ideal birth experience, the birth process and your options, coping strategies, and communicating clearly with medical staff. We are inclusive of all families, birth locations, and preferences. Prices include the birthing parent and one partner/support person (optional).
Meet other local parents-to-be as you prepare for birth and baby! Virtual classes scheduled for May 2020. Please click on the links below to learn more and register. Each class includes a parent guidebook for you to keep!
- Your Birth Experience – Preparing for Birth & Beyond, 4 – 5 hours, $157. May 12 & 14 from 6 – 8:30pm (one class over two evenings)
- Your Breastfeeding Experience – Nourishing Baby, 2 – 3 hours, $77.
May 19from 6 – 8:30pm NOW MAY 27 Wednesday!
- Your Baby Experience – Newborn Care & the Fourth Trimester, 2 – 3 hours, $77. May 21 from 6 – 8:30pm
- Register for all three and save 10%! $279
Schedule a birth class at your convenience and enjoy the option to focus on your big questions in the comfort of your own home. This 4-5 hour class takes place during one meeting. $247 in-person Virtual private class: $197
This is an excellent option if you want personalized information on a specific pregnancy, birth, newborn, or postpartum topic. Some examples include:
- planning to become pregnant and curious about options for prenatal care, birth, and beyond
- newly pregnant and want to learn more about next steps for the coming 9 months
- preparing for a homebirth
- planning a cesarean birth
- wanting to focus more specifically on certain questions such as labor coping strategies, baby feeding (breast or bottle), newborn care, VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean), multiples, planning for postpartum/maternity leave, postpartum meal planning, strategizing your “going back to work” plans, getting ready for single parenting, or another topic of your choice
- in need of postpartum newborn care 101 and survival strategies for the “fourth trimester”
- want to focus on labor-coping strategies and drafting a birth plan (includes YBE Parent Guide)
- a second (or third, or fourth….) time parent who would like a refresher (includes YBE Parent Guide)
- creating a birth plan (includes YBE Parent Guide)
This option includes a two hour consult, personalized resources, and 30 minute preparation and follow up calls. $197 (in person) $157 (virtual)
You’ll receive a Your Birth Experience Parent Guide (85 pages, revised 2019!) to review on your own. This can be upgraded toward a class or consultation. All class participants receive a copy of this guide. $47 (includes postage)
- Envisioning Your Birth
- Understanding the Birth Process
- Comfort Measures
- Post Labor
- What to do While You Wait
- Special Considerations
- Birth Plan and Resources
The impact of childbirth education classes on delivery outcome – Attending a childbirth class was associated with an threefold higher likelihood of a vaginal birth!