With a rare day off from doula work in New York City, I was running errands when I spied a package of shredded cabbage and had a sudden craving for coleslaw. Not at all seasonal (no pumpkin spice?!), to be sure, but since my cravings are usually for sugary treats, I decided to roll with it. I bought a package of the shredded veg (green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots), and did an internet search for coleslaw dressing when I got home. Five minutes later, I was satisfying my craving.
adapted from easy coleslaw dressing
all measurements are approximate suggestions—you can eyeball it, this is hard to mess up
- one package pre-shredded cabbage and/or carrots
- fresh baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped (optional, about a large handful)
- sliced almonds (optional, about 1 – 2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (Just Mayo is the best)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (I keep a bottle in the fridge)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- salt and pepper to taste (I like lots)
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Add the shredded cabbage, and spinach and almonds if desired. Toss. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Eat it up.