Childbirth Classes for Busy New Yorkers
We took [private] childbirth education with Rachel and it was a great experience. She took the time to get to know us, provided us with useful materials, and made us both much more confident about labor and delivery. Rachel clearly respected our choices and never made us feel like we should conform to her ideas of an ideal birth. She is warm and has a good sense of humor, which made our time together that much more enjoyable. —Petra
Postmodern Childbirth offers childbirth, pregnancy, and postpartum consulting and group classes tailored to your questions, concerns, and curiosities. You can go into birth and parenting confident and ready.
We are pleased to offer the Flourishing Families – Your Birth Experience (YBE) curriculum, which focuses on YOU. As YBE creator Missy David says:
[M]ost importantly, this is YOUR birth, YOUR baby, and YOUR experience. There are few moments in life that are seared into our memories like birth, and my job is to ensure that your experience is a positive one, regardless of whether or not things go as planned.
Classes include coming to a deep understanding of your values and ideal birth experience, the birth process and your options, coping strategies, and communicating clearly with medical staff. We are inclusive of all birth locations and preferences. Prices include the birthing parent and one partner/support person.
Meet other local parents-to-be as you prepare for birth and baby! We have classes scheduled for November 2019 in Jackson Heights, Queens, New York. Please click on the links below to learn more and register. Each class includes a parent guidebook for you to keep!
** SPECIAL OFFER: first three registrations will receive a special swag bag of fun pregnancy-related gifts when class meets! ** Gift bags are claimed, thank you!
- Your Birth Experience – Preparing for Birth & Beyond Sunday November 17, 12:30 – 5:30pm, $187
- Your Breastfeeding Experience – Nourishing Baby Tuesday November 19, 6:00 – 9:00pm, $97
- Your Baby Experience – Newborn Care & the Fourth Trimester Wednesday November 20, 6:00 – 9:00pm, $97
- Register for all three and save 10%! $343
Schedule a birth class at your convenience and enjoy the option to focus on your big questions in the comfort of your own home. This 4-5 hour class takes place during one meeting. $247
This is an excellent option if you want personalized information on a specific pregnancy, birth, newborn, or postpartum topic. Some examples include:
- planning to become pregnant and curious about options for prenatal care, birth, and beyond
- newly pregnant and want to learn more about next steps for the coming 9 months
- preparing for a homebirth
- planning a cesarean birth
- wanting to focus more specifically on certain questions such as labor coping strategies, baby feeding (breast or bottle), newborn care, VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean), multiples, planning for postpartum/maternity leave, postpartum meal planning, strategizing your “going back to work” plans, getting ready for single parenting, or another topic of your choice
- in need of postpartum newborn care 101 and survival strategies for the “fourth trimester”
- want to focus on labor-coping strategies and drafting a birth plan (includes YBE Parent Guide)
- a second (or third, or fourth….) time parent who would like a refresher (includes YBE Parent Guide)
- creating a birth plan (includes YBE Parent Guide)
This option includes a two hour consult, personalized resources, and 30 minute preparation and follow up calls. $197 (in person)
You’ll receive a Your Birth Experience Parent Guide (85 pages, revised 2019!) to review on your own. This can be upgraded toward a class or consultation. All birth doula clients and class participants receive a copy of this guide. $47 (includes postage)
Table of Contents:
- Why Your Birth Experience?
- Do I really need a Birth Plan?
- Envisioning Your Birth
- Understanding the Birth Process
- Preparing for Your Birth Experience
- Understanding Your Options
- Appendix and Resources
- Communicating Your Preferences